Generals Fan
2003 - 2004



Greensboro falls 6-5 to Charlotte

GREENSBORO - ith the Greensboro Generals hosting Fan Appreciation Night at the Greensboro Coliseum, the Charlotte Checkers played the role of spoilers earning a 6-5 road victory. Greensboro (33-23-1) could only manage two power-plays, opposed to the Checkers (29-21-7) which had nine opportunities converting four. Greensboro, with 10,981 in attendance cheering them on, would only manage 26 shots on goal, nine of which came in the final period.

The Checkers attempted to steal the roar from the crowd on-hand, when from just inside the face-off circle, Chad Wilchynski converted Charlotte 5-on-3 opportunity. Greensboro would retaliate, when Matt Chandler scored following a rebound off the forearm pad of Charlottes goaltender Scott Meyer. Greensboro then used speed to convert a shot on goal on Charlotte, when on a wrap around behind the net, Matt Elich kicked the pass to Kurt Drummond from the left circle making the score 2-1 at 11:56. The Checkers answered with two consecutive goals, coming within thirty seconds of each other as Chad Wilchynski converted a power-play opportunity at the 16:37 mark, penetrating the left face off circle, sending the shot past Greensboros Daniel Berthiaume. Richard Keyes answered, allowing Charlotte to take a 3-2 lead into the second, when he sent a shot from just beyond the face-off circle.

In the second, Greensboro kicked off the scoring, tying the game at 3-3, just 1:21 into the frame. Speedster Mike Bayrack outlasted the Checkers defense creating a one-on-one in the offensive zone, netting his team-leading 31st goal of the season. The Checkers answered just beyond the midpoint of the second period, when in a 5-on-3 power-play Richard Reyes sent a shot off the post behind Berthiaume. The goal gave Charlotte a 4-3 lead, ending second period scoring.

Each team found the net in the third, with Matt Turek kicking off scoring for Greensboro after sending a shot top shelf to knot the game at 4-4. The Checkers responded at the 9:30 mark, with an Allan Egeland goal as he faded away to Berthiaumes left side to give the Checkers a 5-4 lead. A defensive miscue just over two minutes later, as the Generals defense attempted to slap the puck out of the air, sending the shot in net for a 6-4 advantage. The Generals had one last attempt, following a Derek Crimin goal on a deflection of a Likit Andersson shot, cutting the lead to one with 1:25 remaining. Greensboro, however, could get no closer.

The Generals complete the month of February, and will face consecutive weekend games with Florence and Columbia, followed by games against Columbia and Gwinnett. The Generals will return home next on March 17th, when the take on the Greenville Grrrowl, for a St. Patrick’s Day bash.

Jon Cole
Media Relations Director
Greensboro Generals
(336) 373-7402 (office)